Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Double Embossed Card



We are in the middle of a major winter snow storm. So major in fact that I decided the streets were too slippery for me to go out to the annual Christmas potluck for the quilt guild. (Insert big sigh here) There is a stop sign on our front lawn and all afternoon I saw cars hit the brakes and slide into the intersection and the police were asking people to stay off the roads so I followed their advice…..not happy about it but not worth getting into an accident either.



Someone posted this on Facebook yesterday and I just had to share it here.
         This is the coldest November in 38 years and it’s just past half way!

Today’s card is a sample of double embossing……and it’s the end of the blue and silver cards.


 
I had one piece of the shiny blue paper left over so I ran it through one of the Spellbinder’s fancy rectangle dies and then wondered what the heck I was going to do with it. As I was flipping through my dies and small embossing folders I found this Tim Holtz deer die…it, and another small folder, came with a large folder I bought last year at the Paper Pickle and I don’t think I’ve ever used it…or not often anyway. So, I wondered what would happen if I positioned the folder so it would emboss just one side of the already embossed rectangle. I thought it might flatten out the rectangle but as you can see, it did not. Okay, what next. Honestly this is how I make cards. I seldom ever have a plan in place when I start. Well I thought that pretty paper from Paper Wishes would go nice with it but it’s so thin I figured it would crack if I embossed it. So, I glued it to a piece of white scratch paper with a glue stick and then embossed it and it turned out lovely. The paper has a white background so I ran the sanding block lightly over the tops of the snowflakes to reveal some white.

Okay what next. The blue rectangle on the blue paper just didn’t work. It needed something else between them so I pulled out another Spellbinder fancy rectangle and die cut and embossed a piece of white cardstock. Blah! However, a glue stick run over the edges and clear glitter sprinkled on made all the difference in the world. I liked so nice I glittered up the snowflakes too and added them with dimensional glue dots. The sentiment label is a pretty silver colour even though it looks dark in the photo. The sentiment itself started out silver but I knew it wouldn’t show up on a silver label so I cut it out of the strip and stamped alcohol ink on it to turn it blue. That worked and I called it done!

That’s all on a Wednesday from the frozen north.

Cheers
Violet

2 comments:

  1. Have you turned into a Snowman yet Violet??? lol I'am sitting here with my first cup of coffee and waiting for the 80% chance of rain the weatherman promised me this afternoon. :)

    I love to read how you do your cards. I learn so much. Sometimes i get a little confused.... Now tell me, what is reading as pink in the photo is that really silver?? Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo does not do this card justice at all. I think the glitter was not the sparkling clear that I thought it was and was in fact holographic glitter and the camera picked up more of the pinkish colour. In real life it pretty much just sparkles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...