Friday, January 16, 2015

Multiple Ink Background



Ahhhh, warm weather – it got up almost to the freezing mark today and let me tell you people, that was warm for us! Of course, because it was warmer and the sun came out all the snow that had salt on it melted so everything was a slushy mess today. That reminds me of the time we (ex-sps and I) drove down to Florida back in the sixties and we stopped for gas and the attendant came out and saw the side of our car that had the remnants of the salt spray on it and asked(read this with a southern accent)  “Why did you all put those white blotchy strips on your car” When we explained that it was from the salt on the road splashing up on the car, he said, “You all put salt on the roads?” So we further explained that they put salt on the roads to melt the ice and snow. He looked at us like we were crazy and then afterwards I realized he didn’t realize there were trucks designed to spread salt and he was likely picturing us crazy Canadians walking up and down the street with boxes of salt. Funny memory. Another thing about today – the sparrows did not return so my theory that they stayed away because of the cold weather is out! We did have more mourning doves and cardinals though but the whereabouts of the sparrows remains a mystery.

Have any of you been watching the videos of the new products from CHA? Drool! I absolutely love the January colour Tim Holtz released today. He is releasing one new colour in each Distress line per month. Love, love, love the colour this month. I have several Distress Inks that I use all the time but I don’t have any of the other Distress products….like the paint, spray and markers. If you go over to his blog he has the links to several videos showcasing the new products. Love the bird stamps!!!....I may have to get that one! I’ve watched a lot of the videos and lots of new products coming out this year….not that I can afford to buy many of them though but it doesn’t cost anything to drool!

Today’s card features a Tim Holtz stamp and sentiment from Hot Off the Press…. but not an alcohol ink background, but a one-of-a-kind background using multiple inks.


Love the old car and old truck stamps from a very old Tim Holtz collection. I use them all the time on masculine cards. This could be a birthday card but I made it into a retirement card instead. The background was made using glossy cardstock and an ink pad with multiple colours. First I embossed the old car and the sentiment in black embossing powder, pushing harder than necessary when stamping to give a bit of a ghost image around them after the next step. I have the Ranger Big and Juicy multiple ink pad (will post a card using it next week) and the Tsukineko one called Creole Spice, which is the one I used here. I inked up a hard rubber roller really well and then rolled it over and over and over the glossy cardstock, re-inking a few times, until I liked the coverage. The embossed image and sentiment resisted the ink but the areas without embossing, like the windows, picked up the colour. Easy to do and I really like the end result.  It was then mounted on white and then on a blue card base.

Looks like the more seasonal temperatures will be hanging around for awhile so that’s good news. Have a wonderful weekend everyone. That’s all for a warmer Friday.

Cheers
Violet

1 comment:

  1. Oh i have been watching the CHA videos and drooling right along side you. :) I cannot decide whether to go with the ink, paing or stain... hmmmmm.... lol Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...