Sunday, February 15, 2015

A Candy Can Card Challenge


We have set records here in South Western Ontario and not ones I ever wanted to witness. The temperature right now (9:45 am) is …..drum roll…… -23C (-9F) and with the wind chill -35C (-31F). Now that’s a deep freeze for sure. May God bless all the homeless people who have to find shelter. My heart goes out to them and especially this time of the year. The week only gets mildly warmer until Saturday when we hit a high of -4C (24F). This has been a terrible winter. Joe has had to shovel the driveway 17 times already and we had one snowfall that was way too much to shovel and had a fellow come with snow blower to clear it – and he had trouble getting through it. More snow on the way for several days this week too. Horrible, horrible weather. I know it's cold in Florida too but I would trade their temperatures for ours!

I spent yesterday afternoon bundled up in the “lower studio” (aka the basement) making cards yesterday and I finished one for this challenge:  http://merrymondaychristmaschallenge.blogspot.com. Their challenge was to make a Christmas card featuring candy canes. Here’s what I did.

 


The candy can background paper is from an old out of print paper pack. The snowflake was die cut with a Spellbinder’s die and it's mounted on the paper with dimensional glue strips. The little elf (from HOTP) was stamped on white cardstock and coloured with alcohol markers, cut out and glued onto the snowflake. The sentiment is a ribbon that came in a kit from Paper Wishes a few years ago and it is the last piece I have. I mounted it onto a hand cut banner. The button is paper, die with a Stampin’ Up die. It was cut twice and glued together to make it thicker. Instead of threading it, I just drew lines between the holes with a black marker.
 
After I had the card done and photographed I decided the candy cane and button were not looking right. So I added some Glossy Accents to both and now they look more realistic. Here’s the one with the Glossy Accents added.
 
Hopefully you can tell the difference. In real life there is quite a difference.

Well, I think I’ll go and quilt today in the “upper studio” which is a large walk-in closet but it works for me!.....and it's a lot warmer than the lower studio.

Cheers

 Violet

 

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous card Violet, I love your cute elf. Stay warm, my husband returned from Ottawa earlier this week and was certainly glad to be back in the mild temps of Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Love the little elf! And yes, we could all use Spring again right?? Stay warm! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Merry Monday.

    Deanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little elf, Violet! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday! I hope your weather improves. That's REALLY COLD!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...