Wednesday, February 18, 2015

ChildCan Quilts and a Card



First of all, I understand that Blogger has added a “Prove you are not a robot” to my blog. A friend stopped in today for a visit and mentioned it to me. Blogger added this, not me, and so far I haven’t found out how to remove it. So, my apologies, and I’ll remove it if I can.

Tonight was quilt guild meeting night. Because of the bitter cold temperatures we didn’t have quite as many people show up than we normally do but still a good crowd. One of the things we did tonight was donate 68 quilts to ChildCan who assist families when their child is diagnosed with cancer. Here they are laid out on several tables.
 
Each child receives a quilt and unfortunately they can have between 80 and 120 children diagnosed from S.W. Ontario and those flown in from the far northern communities so they need a lot of quilts. They also do much more than that and assist the parents with various vouchers to help them out financially and they give emotional help and support as well. It’s the least we can do to help. They rely strictly on donations too so its amazing how much they accomplish.

Speaking of kids with cancer, my 15 year old grandson decided to grow his hair out and then donate it to Locks of Love who take human hair and create wigs that are donated to children who have lost their hair from chemo. This is my grandson getting his hair cut last week. So proud of the young man he is becoming. That's his dad in the mirror taking the picture.




He had really, really long hair....
 


 and had a lot cut off.

 That's quite the pony tail to be donated.




 And this is the man of the hour! Such a great kid!

 
 
Today’s card is another one using the window frame.

I used the same method as yesterday’s card with plastic behind the window frame to make it look like glass. For this card I took a piece of white cardstock and sponged some Tumbled Glass Distress Ink around it, leaving some areas light and some dark. Then I stamped the butterflies (old stamps, no manufacturer name on them) and I left them black instead of colouring them in. I also stamped the sentiment before gluing the window frame on. I had won these flowers in a contest a year or more ago and haven’t used them often so I decided they would work fine for this card. The leaves were die cut with a Memory Box die. The buttons are from the stash.

That’s all for a cold Wednesday,
 
Cheers
Violet


2 comments:

  1. violet you forgot to post the card. Love all the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aquafit for letting me know the card went missing. I swear it was there as I was posting so not sure why it didn't show up but it's there now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...