Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Recycling Old Greeting Cards



The deep freeze at night is going to continue all week but seeing as it was a balmy -12C (10F) this morning we decided to be brave and venture out….running low on groceries motivates us every time! It was actually pretty nice getting out of the house for awhile. There was a snow flurry while we were eating lunch (Chinese food at Jade Gardens) but it didn’t last long. We haven’t been out for a Chinese lunch there since likely mid November but as soon we sat down the waitress came up and smiled, said hello and  pointed me and said, “Shrimp and vegetables for you?” and to Joe, “and #2 for you?” We are always surprised that she remembers what we order seeing as we do not eat there that often.

While I was die cutting some more window frames with my new die last week, I happened to pick up a greeting card that had some beautiful flowers on it. People sometimes give me their old greeting cards; some I use, some I toss. This one was too nice to toss but I wasn’t sure what I would ever use it for until I bought this new die.


The background is from a very old paper pack and yes, gulp, I cut into a 12x12” piece of paper. I normally only use the 6” paper packs for cards but sometimes the colours I need are just not in those packs. I decided if I cut into a 12” piece of paper, I must make 4 cards and not have any put into the stash pile! So, I cut that 12” piece of paper in 4 standard card pieces. This was card one of the four backgrounds and Poppystamps window frame die. The inside of the card had the flowers that are behind the window frame….and yes, I used more of the plastic sleeve from the die set to put behind the window frame to look like glass.

The flowers on the front were on the front of the card and there is glitter in the centre. I cut around those three which were the only ones useable for this card. I wanted a curvy vine for the flower on top so I die cut a green leafy branch (Sizzix I think) and then cut off the leaves. I used those cut off leaves to stick under the flowers.  I happened to have those two large leaves cut from another die (one is behind the flower and hard to see) and I placed them near the bottom to ground the flowers. The sentiment is a peel-off. I have a feeling I will be recycling a lot of greeting cards now.

That’s all for a cold Tuesday,

Cheers
Violet

2 comments:

  1. That die just gives you so many options Violet. Love it. This turned out great! Hugs~deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Crafting When We Can.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...