Monday, March 23, 2015

Teenage Boy Cards



 Well we had a wonderful weekend – with a bit of a surprise thrown in! We decided on Saturday to buy tickets for a concert in Sarnia that night. We seldom ever buy tickets ahead of time in case we cannot go and we seldom find events sold out….it has happened, but not often. We also decided to just spend the night there as Joe does not really like driving at night anymore and we haven’t been anywhere all winter. So, off we went and when we got to Sarnia…via the river road….I spotted an odd looking duck in the St. Clair River. He stopped and I got out to take a picture of it…..and I’m glad I did…..it turns out to be a Long-tailed duck which are not normally seen in this area. Here is a picture of it.


So after checking into the motel and a delicious Chinese dinner we headed over to the theatre and enjoyed some wonderful singers and musicians singing Country and Western duos from the oldies, like Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash to the current singers like Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. We enjoy a wide variety of music and we’ve heard the lead female singer before so we knew we would enjoy it.

Seeing the duck was not the surprise I spoke of…..it was waking up to a snowstorm Sunday Morning! Yes, a snow storm. Sarnia is right on the edge of Lake Huron and they get what is known as Lake Effect Snow. We didn’t stick around long after breakfast as the roads were getting slippery. Half way home it was down to flurries and nothing in Chatham. I really thought I’d seen the last of snow for this winter! It cut our day in Sarnia short but we got home safe and sound and that was more important.

My oldest grandson is going to be 16 this summer so I thought I’d start making some cards suitable for a teenage boy. I made two using the same stamp but different backgrounds.
 
I coloured them both with Prismacolor pencils but I put one boy with a red had and one with a blue hat because here in South Western Ontario most people are either Toronto Maple Leaf fans (blue) or Detroit Red Wing fans (red).

Both backgrounds were done the same way – by layering various strips of paper on a diagonal and then run through an embossing folder which does two things….it really presses the layers of paper together so they are well sealed and it gives some extra dimension to the card. They were both then glued to the kraft card base.

For the blue card I thought I’d run a new word die set I bought at the Paper Pickle when they had their winter sale. So, I found some brown cardstock, layered it behind the image, and used the left over bits to die cut the word. Then I realized that it does not cut out the entire word…..each individual letter instead……GROAN! There were four dies in the set and unless you really, really looked hard at them, it looks like you cut out the entire word. Not happy with this purchase and I’ll be careful about buying any other ones. But they were die cut so I peeled them all off and did the Happy vertically and added Birthday on a left over piece of blue cardstock.

For the red card I took a large red rectangle glued the image on it, but off the edge and then die cut a corner unit out of the same red with my Stampin’ Up punch to add to the lower right corner.  This left me room to stamp the sentiment on the left of the red cardstock. Before gluing it to the striped background I ran some bakers twine around it.

That’s all for a very cold Monday – yes, it’s cold again! Mother Nature has an evil streak I think. We had one really nice spring day and then it turned cold again.

Cheers
Violet

2 comments:

  1. Great cards. I am glad you had good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odd duck for sure!!! Pretty though. Here i'am predicted to hit 89 degrees this next weekend and your still getting snow! Brrr.... glad you escaped without mishap though. :) I keep meaning to get some word dies. I've seen some in pretty script writing that i 'think' are all attached. :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...