Tuesday, November 17, 2015

A Winter's Birthday Card


We are still receiving some nice weather here in Ontario – in the 60’sF – which is rare for November. Last year at this time we had a major, messy snowstorm come through. I only know that because I didn’t get to go to the quilt guild meeting last year. They are saying we could get some messy rain/snow on the weekend but it doesn’t sound like the snow will stick around – which suits me just fine.

Joe continues to feel better. In fact today he really wanted to leave the house for awhile – first time in about 10 days. So we had a couple small errands to run so he said he would drive and I could run in and do the business part. Okay, off we go, figured it wouldn’t take any more than about an hour to complete the two stops. One stop was to pay for the furnace repair and the company is out of town…by about a 20 minute drive. Oh oh, as we pulled onto Communication road it was bumper to bumper traffic south and no traffic north. This is not good. Personally, I would have turned around but I wasn’t driving. We waited in traffic for at least 40 minutes, creeping ahead now and then, until we finally got to another cross road and we could get out of it. Long detour through the country to get to where we needed to go but we made it. Needless to say we took a different route home. Not sure what the problem was that held up traffic as we never did get close enough to find out. The other stop was uneventful thank goodness so I was able to get some quilting done this afternoon. 

I did get a few more cards finished last night. This one is a birthday card for a little girl’s winter birthday.
 


I know most people would have made it into a Christmas card but I decided to make it a birthday card. This is an old Magnolia image, coloured with Prismacolor pencils (I still don’t like alcohol markers much) and Wink of Stella added to her dress and hat. The fur on the hat and the pompom at the end of it were flocked.

I happen to love blue, especially these pretty blue colours, so I die cut the image with a Spellbinder’s die, added a skinny blue border, than glued it to the bigger Spellbinder die cut rectangle. The background was a piece of white cardstock that I ran through an embossing folder of snowflakes. The snowflake in the top left corner was die cut (Spellbinders) from a piece of the same blue as the thin border behind the image – but it was just paper, not cardstock, so I glued it to a piece of cardstock before running it through the Big Shot. The bow and ribbon came from the shoe warehouse and they happened to match the paper. A gem was added under the bow.

And that is all for a lovely, but slightly cooler than yesterday, Tuesday,

Cheers

Violet

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...